This recipe Aubergine parmigiana for Mama is from the award winning Munch – Seasonal cookbook for baby and family.[shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”munch-nz.myshopify.com” product_handle=”munch-seasonal-cookbook-for-baby” show=”all”]
The Munch – Seasonal cookbook for baby and family is the perfect book for a new mother or a mother with little ones. It has many easy seasonal recipes for the whole family with a portion of the recipe for a baby. It is full of useful information about feeding babies, kids, allergies and more. It is not only useful but fun due to each recipe being named after a popular pre school book. It is useful, beautiful and green.
Aubergine parmigiana for Mama
This is a classic aubergine parmigiana, a recipe from nonorthern Italy where Anna’s husbands’ extended family is from.
This recipe is for the whole family, and babies from 8 months onwards could enjoy this.
- 3 large aubergines
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 800g tinned whole tomatoes with liquid,
- or 1 kg fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp wine vinegar
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Remove stalks from aubergines and slice into 1-cm-thick rounds.
- Heat the olive oil in large pan, add the onion, garlic, and dried oregano, and cook 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir. Put a lid on the pan and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Grill the aubergines on both sides on a grilling rack.
- Once the tomato sauce is reduced and sweet, season with salt, pepper, wine vinegar, and basil.
- In a large baking dish, spread a small layer of tomato sauce, parmesan, and aubergine. Repeat layers until all of the mixture has been used.
- Then sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumbs that have been lightly coated in olive oil. Bake at 190 C for 30 minutes until golden, crispy, and bubbly.
- Depending on your baby’s age, you may have to puree.