These Reduced Sugar Jam Drops are based on a traditional Jam Drop recipe but we have adapted it to have less sugar and included some other ingredients.
When you reduce sugar in biscuits it effects both the taste and the texture. You can reduce the sugar by around a quarter in most biscuit recipes without effecting the end result. You can always substitute the sugary taste with vanilla or spices such as ginger or cinnamon.
For those of you who would like to run through some of the sugar free recipes we have posted in the past, check these out:
Reduced Sugar Free Jam Drops
- 225g self-raising flour
- 75g brown sugar
- 50g softened butter
- 50g natural yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Strawberry jam – a no added sugar variety
- Mix the sugar and butter together and rub in the flour.
- Add the yoghurt and the egg. You want a stiff dough so you might not need all the egg.
- Roll the dough into little balls about a tablespoon in size, flatten slightly and make a little indent in the top.
- Drop ¼ – ½ a teaspoon of jam into each indent – ours were a bit irregular but all ended up tasting yummy!
- Bake for 10 minutes at 190c – until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Spot the ones Freddie did all by himself!