This slow cooker lemon tarragon chicken is a quick easy slow-cooked meal. It takes less than 10 mins to prepare and the whole family will love it! It is so simple to prepare that your little ones will be able to help you.
The best thing is that you can enjoy it hot for dinner and have enough left over for either dinner the next night or to enjoy cold for lunch. Whether you slow cook it our oven roast it it is delicious!
Slow cooker lemon tarragon chicken
This is definitely a recipe for the whole family! Your baby can join in eating with their fingers or you can turn the chicken, vegetables and your choice of carbohydrate into a purée. A simple roast chicken purée that is suitable from around 6 months, you might want to add a bit of apple or pear to the purée to sweeten it especially for babies at stage 1 having their first tastes of different foods. Store left over puree in a Munch Squish Delish.
Chicken is a great first meat for your baby as it has a soft texture and it’s taste isn’t as metallic as lamb or beef so your baby is more likely to accept it as a first taste. Cut into strips babies will find it easy to suck and chew, even babies without any teeth!
For baby, if you can serve the meal as finger food rather than puree, then there are lots of benefits:
- It lets babies explore the food with all their senses and I think this makes them more likely to try a new food.
- It takes the stress out of meal times – no more battles with the spoon.
- Your baby can decide when they are full, they will stop eating when they’ve had enough.
- Your baby is included in the meal with the whole family.
- It is a great way for teething babies to eat as the chewing sensation will soothe their gums and there is no chance of the spoon bashing their tender gums.
- It is a great way for your baby to practice their pincer skills and develop their hand eye co-ordination.
The Team at Munch
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch of tarragon
- An oven bag
- Place the chicken into the oven bag in the slow cooker or on the roasting tray.
- In a pestle and mortar place 2 cloves of garlic, the juice of ½ a lemon, olive oil, and half of the remaining tarragon and grind up.
- Cut a few slits in the skin of the chicken then pour the olive oil mixture over the chicken rubbing it over and under the skin over the flesh and inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Cut the remaining lemon in half and place into the cavity of the chicken along with the rest of the tarragon.
- Cook in an oven bag in the slow cooker for 6 hours or in the oven at 180 C for 25-30 mins per 500g.
- Note - This makes: 4 adult, 2 toddler and 4 baby portions