If you want some more great strawberry recipes and ideas head over to our Strawberry Sunday post and our Strawberry Days post. I love strawberries for their taste, look and their smell. And I just love this recipe Chocolate mousse with strawberries. In fact strawberries have a number of health benefits, according the to the website the World’s healthest foods strawberries are even have anti cancer benefits.
Strawberries are very easy to grow in your garden at home and its a great thing to do with the kids.
Strawberries will grow in most parts of New Zealand. Personally I find it hard growing strawberries because there are too many little fingers helping me in my horticultural activities. Strawberries are plucked before they are ripe or gobbled before I get a chance to harvest them.
Ideally however growing strawberries should be easy. They should be grown in raised beds with something soft between them and the earth they grown in. Once successfully growing, strawberry plants can produce fruit for several years, however, the fruit quality can decline after the first year. For some of our previous thoughts on strawberry growing, see Strawberry Sunday.
Just remember to cover them with a mesh cloth to stop birds taking the ripe strawberries. I often find that our home grown strawberries are so much sweeter than the bought ones. Even if your strawberries are not very sweet you can always dribble some honey over them or even sprinkle some icing sugar.
Munch mum of three small strawberry picking boys
- 90g dark chocolate (preferably 60-70% cocoa solids)
- 120ml water
- 7g gelatine
- 90g frozen raspberries
- 750g fresh strawberries
- Melt chocolate
- Heat water
- Dissolve gelatine in water
- Mix melted chocolate with water and gelatine thoroughly
- Defrost raspberries and puree until smooth
- Mix raspberry puree into chocolate mixture
- Put mixture into a large metal or glass bowl
- Place this bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice and water
- Whisk the chocolate mixture over the ice until it thickens and resembles lightly whipped cream
- Pour into a smaller container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving
- Take stems off strawberries and cut into quarters
- Spoon mousse on top of strawberries in serving bowls