I was asked (albeit sometime ago) to complete a review of the new SunRice – Health and Wellbeing rice range and I have finally found sometime to do this. I used the SunRice organic brown rice, which was a great superfood ingredient in my Superfood Munch lunch salad below.
In fact they kindly gave me samples of all of the rice in that range. I must say my favourite was the Rice and Quinoa as it was delicious just by itself. However I wanted to incorporate this post with a recipe so I have decided to write about the Organic Brown rice product.
I am not too sure if I told you or not but I am rather keen netball fan. I tell my husband that in my day I might have been able to play for the Silver ferns and he laughs as my fitness and shape does not fit well with that image anymore. Anyhow I have been following the netball at the Commonwealth Games and again it is New Zealand verse Australia in the finals. As you can imagine in my household (with an Australian husband) there is quite a bit of banter. Anyhow my point was that even though we are rather competitive with Austrailia they do make a great range of rice.
According to the Organic brown rice product information …
SunRice Organic brown rice
“Organic farming uses the best of traditional agriculture and responsiveness to the land to create biodervisity and environmental balance; a sustainable approach free from artificial intervention. SunRice Naturally Organic Brown Rice is a source of dietary fibre as it retains its nutrient-rich bran layer. Although it may take a little longer to cook, its delicious nutty flavour and firm texture will draw attention to a simple rice salad served alongside lean meats and seafood, while offering reassurance that the natural environment has been preserved. Gluten free.”
You can find more information about their products over at their website.
I am a bit of a cheat today but I have taken one of the SunRice recipes and slightly changed it to incorporate the Organic brown rice. So below is my recipe.
Hope you enjoy the recipe my Superfood Munch lunch salad with SunRice organic brown rice! If you want to read some of my other recipes from my cookbook, then check out my Aubergine parmigiana recipe for Mama or this Peach Plum Puree – Where is Tom Thumb. Both of these recipes featured in my cookbook Munch seasonal cookbook for baby and family.
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Honeys
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- ⅓ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup Coarsely chopped raw almonds
- 1 Avocado, diced
- ⅔ cup Mixed (combo) sprouts
- 50 grams Baby kale or spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 Medium head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1½ cup SunRice Organic Brown rice or SunRice Rice and Quinoa
- Cook Rice & Quinoa according to directions on pack. Place in a mesh sieve and rinse under cold water. Drain well and spread on a tray to cool.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain and refresh in cold water.
- Drain and place into bowl with remaining salad ingredients.
- Add cooled Rice & Quinoa and gently toss to combine.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to combine.
- Pour over salad. Toss gently.