If you had a chance to make some of Kirsten’s favourite parsley and walnut pesto you may have found yourself with a bit of extra pesto on your hands.
Chicken and pesto picnic pasta salad and other pesto ideas
If you do have some pesto on hand, you may like to try this recipe for a pesto picnic pasta salad.
This recipe is immensely adaptable and could be adapted to incorporate any vegetables you had in your garden and any pesto you have on hand.
For another way to use up pesto, you could also try our recipe for Pesto chicken nuggets. Or if you are looking for more ideas for picnics or alfresco eating front, you are sure to be inspired by one of these 62 picnic ideas.
Have you got a favourite picnic recipe or a great pasta salad recipe to share?
Mummy to three small boys
- 300 gm pasta
- 150 g lite sour cream
- ½ cup of pesto
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 Tablespoons of capers
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- seasoning (salt and cracked pepper)
- Cook pasta till al-dente. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water to halt the cooking process.
- While pasta is cooking mix together the sour cream and pest sauce to make a sauce.
- Chop tomatoes in half. Chop the capers into small pieces.
- Mix cooled pasta into the sauce and add in the tomatoes and capers. Season to taste.
- Cover and refridgerate until serving. You could prepare this several hours ahead of serving, or even the night before a picnic
- Serve with a green salad.