A few Sunday’s ago it was Lamb National Day. I am a bit behind getting this out to you, but here is a yummy aubergine and apricot lamb shank casserole that you can whip up in your slowcooker. Great to put it on before you go out for the day.
I adore lamb and aubergine at the moment and have posted on aubergine before. We wrote how to cook Aubergine – don’t be afraid quite some time ago. In aubergine for Mama we had a sneak preview of one of the recipes from Anna’s cookbook, and recently Kate Day shared this great recipe for slow cooked meatballs in tomato and aubergine sauce. I also enjoyed creating this recipe how to make smoky eggplant and tomato sauce.
Aubergine and apricot summer lamb shanks
One of the things I like about this recipe is that its a little bit on the frugal side, if you wanted to you could use tinned apricots. instead of fresh apricot. Either way it is still really yummy, and it has some hidden vegetables in the sauce.
You could modify the spice and seasoning to your own tastes. I am rather fond of harrissa paste, but you might want to add more flavours to this to make it more complex. I would suggest a small amount of sumac, cinnamon, or nutmeg could all ad depth and interest but still complement the general vibe of the dish.
Mummy to three small boys
- 2 egg plant roughly chopped
- 1 tin apricots or 4-5 fresh apricots stones removed
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 lamb shanks
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1-3 tsp Harissa paste
- juice and zest of one lemon
- Brown the shanks all over then place in a slow cooker.
- In a food processor finely dice the eggplants and apricots.
- Add in tomato paste, garlic, spice and seasoning and pulse a couple of times.
- Pour the vegetable and fruit mixture onto shanks.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Cook on medium heat for 8 hours or until the meat is falling of the bones.
- Add lemon juice a short time before servicing.
- Serve with a salad or green vegetables and couscous.