Apples and pears some of the most favourite first foods for babies. In this post we share a recipe for a fruity apple and pear breakfast, which could be enjoyed by mum or baby.
Apples are notable for an impressive list of phtyto-nutrients, and anti-oxidants. Studies suggest that these components are essential for normal growth, development and overall well-being.
Did you know that apples contain good quantities of vitamin-C and beta-carotene. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body. They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol and are rich in dietary fibre, which helps prevent absorption of dietary-LDL or bad cholesterol in the gut.
Pears are a good source of potassium, vitamin c and dietary fibre. Most of which is found in the skin. Pears are also a very low allergenic fruit so are a good first food for babies. A slice of ripe pear is very easy for little people to eat.
Have a fruity apple and pear breakfast
- 3 Apples
- 3 Pears
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel the fruit and cube. Place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Boil on a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Place the fruit into a container for blending (throw away the cinnamon stick). Do not drain the water away!
- Blend and add the cooking water bit by bit to achieve the consistency desired.
- Cover and cool then freeze into portions immediately.