It would be hard to miss the fact that it is Mother’s Day tomorrow. What better than to treat mum with a proper home made treat with this chocolate mudcake for mum. After her lie in of course. But possibly before her Feijoa Daiquiri and facial.
What, you think chocolate is bad for you? Well there is some that think its not. People often mention the fact that dark chocolate is potentially an anti-oxidant. It also contains a number of vitamins and minerals that can support your health. Of note, dark chocolate contains:
The copper and potassium in dark chocolate can help prevent stroke and cardiovascular ailments. The magnesium in chocolate helps prevent type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. Yay.
Chocolate mudcake for mum
So, relax a little and enjoy this delicious and decandant chocolate mudcake from Donna Hay. It is mother’s day after all and treats are okay in moderation.
Mummy to three small boys
- 375g butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder, double sifted
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, cocoa and melted chocolate and stir in the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into a 22cm round cake tin lined with non-stick paper and bake for 1¼ hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin.
- Serve with your favourite cream or dust with a bit of icing sugar before serving.
- To serve, dust with cocoa and serve with cream. Serves 10.