Having an easy standby salad recipes that work with a variety of meals is essential for busy parents. This black bean, corn and tomato salad is easy to prepare and extremely tasty. It is a zingy, colourful, tasty option. Serve at your next family BBQ. This is great with tacos, wraps or pulled pork.
Black bean, corn and tomato salad
This is an easy way to add some extra vegetables and colours into your families diet.
Hopefully your little ones will enjoy this salad as much as you do. Most kids seem to like corn, and the beans are just like those in ‘baked beans’ I tell my kids. If your kids don’t like tomatoes you could either leave them out, or chop them to a size where they are easy to fish out. If your kids don’t mind green bits in their food, then you could add in some chopped coriander for an extra flavour dimension.
Mummy to three small boys
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups of corn kernels
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup of chopped Coriander (optional)
- Combine the first six ingredients in a small jar with a tightly fitted lid. Shake thoroughly until the ingredients are completely combined. Set aside. This could be prepared ahead.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, then transfer to a large bowl.
- If you have fresh young corn you could simply use 2 cups of uncooked corn kernels. If your corn is more mature, or if you are using frozen corn, then you might like to cook the corn before adding it to the salad. Add the corn to a small pot of boiling water for 3-five minutes, drain and refresh under cold water to stop the cooking process. Add to the beans when cool.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces, depending on your preference. Add to the beans and corn.
- Pour about half the dressing onto the salad mixture and gently mix all ingredients with a large spoon until well combined. Save the rest for your next meal.
- If you have time, refrigerate before serving to allow the flavours to blend.
Feel free to substitute the lime with lemon