Okay mums, so we know you want to eat well but dessert seems like a need not a want some times. Well why not try this raw raspberry chocolate slice. It’s just that little bit more good for you, packed with raspberries, coconut and nuts galore. And, even better, you dont have to cook it!
Raw raspberry chocolate slice
The Raw Food Movement is based around the dietary practice of eating only uncooked, and unprocessed foods.
Depending on the exact philosophy or type of lifestyle and results desired, raw food diets may include a selection of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, meat and dairy products. This recipe sneaks in some “not raw” chocolate, but if you use a really good quality dark chocolate, what could be the harm? It is delicious and still very raw overall…
- Step one: the base
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw nuts (either almonds, macadamias or cashews work well and a mixture is also fine)
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Step two: the raspberry layer
- 2 cups fresh or frozen organic raspberries
- ⅔ cup raw cashews or macadamias
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Step three: Chocolate Layer
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 100 g chocolate
- To make the base: add the 12 dates stones removed, 1 cup raw nuts, ⅓ cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil to a food processor and blend until it resembles fine crumbs and sticks together when pressed.
- Spoon mixture into a lined slice tin and press down with the back of a spoon. Place it in the freezer while you prepare the next layer.
- Use the same food processor (does not need to be washed) to make the raspberry layer. Blend the raspberries, ⅔ cup raw cashews or macadamias, 4 tablespoons shredded coconut, 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup until smooth. Add coconut oil and blend until well combined. Tip the raspberry over the base and smooth over with a spatula and place into the freezer for at least 1 hour to set.
- Put the chocolate, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, and 1 Tbsp of maple or rice syrup into a heat proof bowl and set on top of a pot of water that is gently simmering. Stir ingredients together until they have combined and melted. Using a spatcula, spread the chocolate on top of the raspberry layer. Place back into the freezer and let it set completely, approximately 1-2 hours. Slice into small squares.
- This is best stored in the freezer until you want to eat it.