My favourite meal of the day has always been breakfast. I recently started making refrigerator oatmeal to add a bit of variety to my breakfast menu. You need to pop it in the fridge the night before, but the upside of this is it is basically ready to eat straight from the fridge in in the morning. You could cover it with our Munch Food Wraps which you can buy now at the end of this post. In this post I share a recipe for a mango coconut refrigerator oatmeal.
Mango and coconut refrigerator oatmeal
Essentially refrigerator oatmeal is the ideal easy to make breakfast. It is extremely adaptable, simple to make and really good for you. Refrigerator oatmeal recipes are completely open to being made to suit individual tastes. It always starts with the same basic ingredients and procedure. The key ingredients in refrigerator oats are:
- Whole rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
- Yoghurt or milk
- Something to flavour it like fruit, cocoa or seeds
- A small container with a lid, preferably a jar that can hold at least 1 cup of ingredients.
Here is my current favourite refrigerator oatmeal recipe, mango coconut refrigerator oatmeal.
Mummy to three small boys
- 1 Mango (or 2 cups of any fruit you like)
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- Greek yoghurt
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pistachio nuts or other sliced nuts
- Peel and slice the mango and discard the stone.
- Using a stick blender puree the mango. Then add the coconut and rolled oats and water. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into three separate bowls or containers. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 2-3 days.
- Mix a little just before serving, and serve topped with yoghurt, pumpkin seeds and nuts.
- Eat chilled, preferably outdoors in the sun with a cup of fresh brewed coffee.