These banana and chocolate gluten free muffins are delicious, light and relatively healthy. They freeze well. This is such a great recipe it nearly made it into the Munch Lunchbox cookbook, which does have several gluten free recipes that are great for lunchboxes.
The Munch Lunchbox cookbook will help you with the lunchboxes for your kids every day. Written by the Munch team – Anna Bordignon and Michelle Kitney, it’s all about easy, healthy, cost-effective ideas with a focus on natural ingredients. There are tips on how to have school lunches looking and tasting great even after knocking about in a school bag for a few hours! And it contains information on litter-less lunches. Symbols quickly give key recipe information – is the recipe gluten-free, no cook, does it contain dairy, nuts or eggs, can you freeze it?[shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”munch-nz.myshopify.com” product_handle=”munch-lunchbox-cookbook” show=”all”]
Gluten free muffins – banana and chocolate
Gluten is primarily found in wheat flour, but other ingredients can pose a risk. I have learnt that it pays to read the ingredient lists carefully when you are cooking for someone with a gluten allergy. Even some baking powders and cornflours can contain wheat/gluten. For severe suffers of the disease, eating something that was processed in a plant that also processes wheat/gluten products could make them sick.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml water
- 1 T white vinegar/cider vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 200 g gluten free flour (I used the Bakels Gluten Free Health Baking Mix)
- 100 g rice flour
- 1 ¾ cups of sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- chocolate (optional)
- Mash bananas in a large bowl then whisk in the eggs, water, oil and vinegar.
- Stir until well combined.
- In a another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and soda. I simply stir with a fork until it is well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Divide mixture into 24 medium sized muffin tins or patty cases.
- Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- I like to pop a piece of chocolate on top of each muffin part way through the cooking process