In this post we share a great recipe that can be enjoyed by both baby and family, a slow cooked beef and kumara hotpot. This can be made in either the oven or with a slow cooker. It is an all-in-one dish that is gluten-free.
Many of the recipes in the first Munch Cookbook: Munch seasonal cookbook for baby and family are designed for a mums and families and is a fabulous gift for a new mother or a mother with little ones. It has many easy seasonal recipes for the whole family with a portion of the recipe for a baby. It is full of useful information about feeding babies, kids, allergies and more. It is not only useful but fun due to each recipe being named after a popular pre school book. It is useful, beautiful and green.
Beef and kumara hotpot
Here is one easy slow-cooked recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It is a one pot wonder, so once it’s cooking that’s your evening meal sorted and the added bonus of it freezing well.
Be sure to check out our post on slow cooking tips if you are new to using a slow cooker.
Mummy to three small boys
- 2 tbsps oil or butter
- 2 leek
- 3 carrots
- 250g mushrooms
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1kg stewing steak
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 cup of water or you could replace this with reduced salt stock is feeding children over 12 months
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish if cooking in the oven or frying pan if using a slow cooker and sweat off the leeks. Add the steak and brown. Once browned add the mushrooms and soften.
- Transfer the meat and vegetable to the slow cooker and add the carrots and kumara.
- De-glaze the pan with the cooking liquid and pour over the meat and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or in the oven at 180 ‘C for 1½ hours.
- Serve with crusty bread to soak up the sauce. If serving to a baby blend or mash to the appropriate texture using the cooking liquid.