Pears are a luscious fruit that are available for much of the year. Why not pair them up with a great cheese and walnuts to create this Pear, Pecorino and walnut salad.
Pears are juicy and sweet, with both a soft and grainy texture. There are varieties of pear available almost year-round. If you want to know if a pear is ripe press (gently) around the stem, pears ripen from the inside out. If it a pear is hard at the stem, it its not yet ripe.
Pears make great eating, something I only came to realise a few years ago. They are great in salads or with a cheese course. There are a many great recipes for pears. They go well in crumbles, baking and are very popular for puddings such as poached pears, baked pears, pears and chocolate. For the kids, tinned pears with yoghurt is an easy healthy pudding.
Read more about the health benefits of pears, or try some of our other pear recipes? Why not try one of these:
Mummy to three small boys
- 2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of shelled walnuts
- 200 g rocket
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 50 g Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Toast your walnuts in a dry frying pan.
- Core and thinly slice the pears
- In a large serving bowl, mix together the pear, walnuts and rocket.
- Grate the cheese, or shave into thin slices.
- Whisk together two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Pour dressing over the salad and sprinkle the grated cheese.
- Serve immediately, this is enough for 4-6 people as a side or entree.