Baking traditional Anzac biscuits with your children tomorrow is a great starting point for starting a discussion about history, war and things that aren’t always easy to discuss.
Traditional Anzac biscuits
A traditional Anzac biscuit is full to the brim with oats which make them a great lunchbox filler. There is absolutely no point reinventing a classic recipe in my opinion, so I am offering a reworked version of the New Zealand Women’s Weekly’s Anzac recipe.
These would pack very well into our Munch reusable sandwich bags. These save you money as our bags last for at least 18-months or more. Our bags are great for small sandwiches, biscuits, fruit, popcorn or any other lunchbox goodie you would normally wrap.[shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”munch-nz.myshopify.com” product_handle=”munch-litter-less-lunch-bag” show=”all”] [shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”munch-nz.myshopify.com” product_handle=”munch-litter-less-lunch-bag-apple” show=”all”] [shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”munch-nz.myshopify.com” product_handle=”munch-litter-less-lunchbag” show=”all”]
These are extremely easy care products, which you can either machine wash or wipe clean. The internal layer is waterproof and food will not stick or stain.
Want to try some of our other oat recipes? Why not try one of these:
Mummy to three small boys
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 125g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- Heat oven to 180C or 160C fan bake.
- Grease or line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Put flour, sugar, coconut and oats into a bowl and stir to combine, making a well in the centre.
- In a saucepan melt butter and golden syrup (or microwave in a bowl to melt).
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Add melted ingredients and dissolved baking soda to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Roll spoonfuls into balls and press onto prepared baking trays, allowing space for biscuits to spread while cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.