Breakfast cereals are a product that come with a fair amount of packaging. Many families can get through lots of packets of cereal per week. Making your own cereals like this easy homemade muesli is a great way to reduce packing waste. The core ingredients for this can all be bought in bulk using reusable containers or packaging.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup nuts (eg slivered almonds, chopped hazelnuts or brazil nuts)
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup dried fruit (eg apricots, chopped or sultanas, raisins, craisins, blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cover 2 baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add honey and canola oil. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine all the oats, seeds, nuts and coconut. Pour the honey and oil mixture in and stir to coat.
- Pour onto the lined trays and bake for 15 minutes. Stir every 3-4 minutes.
- Allow to cool after toasting and stir through the dried fruit.
Why not make a compote from our Munch Lunchbox Cookbook to go with the muesli, along with some fresh cut apples. You will find that most kids will enjoy a cut up apple for breakfast or as a snack. But make sure you find fresh crispy apples as no one likes an old soft apple!
Other easy homemade muesli recipes by Munch include our seeded Weetbix Granola recipe.
And don’t forget our muesli muffins such as our Lunchbox Muesli Crackles.