Let’s be honest not all kids and even adults for that fact love courgette’s. So we have an amazing recipe to hide them, one that’s delicious but also has three cups of vegetables inside. No one would ever know or even guess. At Munch we are all about getting our five a day as we know how beneficial it really is for our bodies to be healthy and strong.
Courgette chocolate cake
Courgette or zucchini are in season here and we have a whole pile to spare. Last night we made these Gluten free zucchini fritters for our dinner, but we still had courgettes to spare. I have always wanted to try making a courgette chocolate cake, so I did so yesterday. The recipe follows below. I tell you it was a real hit with the kids.
- 125 g butter
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups or 350 g courgettes, grated
- 200 g chopped chocolate or melts
- Prepare 25cm cake tin by lining with strips of baking paper and pre-heat your oven to 170 C.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy. I used my mix master and raw sugar, so this took a very long time.
- Add the eggs one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Add the vanilla and yoghurt and mix well.
- Sift remaining dry ingredients together and then add into mixture with the grated courgette. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks and then tip into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until the centre feels firm and the skewer comes out clean.